I have thought about this for years now, trying to decide how I should best go on record and give the best way for people to engage with me on the Internet. This is the least terrible option I can think of:
**PS. Order matters in these lists
Ways to send me a message:
- Google Hangouts
- Facebook Messenger
- iMessage (Apple only)
- I guess mention me in a tweet…but really, use one of those three.
- Google Music
- iTunes in the Cloud/iTunes Match
- Songza, Rdio, Spotify (US-only), Pandora (US-only), etc., etc., etc. if you don’t want to keep track of a local library.
Ways to email stuff:
Ways to browse the web:
- I think Snapchat is really cool, especially the new video calling feature. Still needs work though. (Find me at: Sciencerob)
- Instapaper is a great app for storing links to articles to read them later.
- Google Maps fulfills all your mapping needs. Alternatives are very weak in comparison.
- Apple’s Photo Stream is pretty useful if you have all Apple devices and friends with all Apple devices.
- YouTube is just an incredible video service, nothing else comes close. (+Attrell Update, +Future Tech Chat, +Rob Attrell)
- TeamViewer is a great service allowing you to control another computer’s mouse/keyboard by logging into that computer.
- Tonido is an app that lets you access your computer’s files remotely by login, which is way cooler than I can describe.
- Digg is a really cool app/service that curates news for you from across the web and presents it extremely well.
- SMS Text Messages
- Non-urgent phone calls (unless you let me know it’s coming first)
- Really just sending me messages I can’t access or answer on any computer (see choices above)