I hate this new law so much. It’s so clear from the way it was put in place and the way it’s been defended that it’s just about racism against Middle Eastern people, mostly women specifically.
The two ‘Questions of the Day’ when I took the Vote Compass were all about this law, and though they are different questions, I can’t imagine most people answering them on different sides of the political spectrum (I guess it comes back to the question about the independence of Quebec).
I don’t know much about the way that the government of Canada could challenge the laws in Quebec, but given how racist the law is, I hope it is widely contested by whatever civil liberties bodies could be responsible for standing up for the rights of these civil servants.
Once again, the question itself is fine, with the exception that there could probably be some contextual information on the page about the specifics of the law available. It pains me to see that places in Canada would come up with something like this, but that’s where we are now.
Summary: Disagreeing with a law that most reasonable people would consider racist (was there a problem with religious people interfering with their civil duties, or is the problem with people using civil services complaining about feeling uncomfortable with non-Christian religious ‘symbols’ like burqas and complaining about it) shouldn’t be political. Do better and get back to me.
Table of Contents
- Blog Odyssey ‘011: The Blogtacular Bloggening
- Root Access For All!
- Room for +1 More?
- A Fork in the Road
- I am not in denial!
- A Time to Kill
- Contract Killer
- Busy times call for short posts
- Bluetooth (Not space, sorry 🙁 )
- Installing Google+ on iPad or iPod Touch
- Speaking in Code
- Life, Interrupted
- Facebook Messenger
- A Purview of Happiness
- If I did it
- Becoming a Controvert
- Just Friends
- Social Not-working
- 5 Years in the Life (AKA my thesis’s acknowledgements section)
- What’s happening?
- Multi (hold-on) tasking
- In a Blink
- Typing into the future
- Recent and Random (bonus: Introspective)
- Inferior Service Pirates (ISP’s)
- Washing your Hands is a Waste of Time.
- What Apple’s education announcement means to you.
- Back from the Dead
- TSN Streaming Headaches
- The Future of Morality
- Parental Guidance Suggested
- My Favourite New Toy
- Everything I know, I was taught in graduate school.
- Back to the Future
- I’m a writer, er…right?
- Obligatory iPhone post (New Design)
- Changing the Future
- A hand at poetry.
- We Are The Future
- In today’s news (October 19, 2012)
- Future Work Experience
- No Hope for the Future
- Why I’ll be a Student as long as I can
- Going Forward
- My Future Phone
- Growing up
- Writing on the Internet
- When I grow up, Part 1: Research Scientist
- When I grow up, I want to be _______